Protecting software with web application security standards
As web applications are now the #1 target in confirmed security breaches, development teams must adhere to web application security standards to protect software organizations from attack.
The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is a non-profit organization devoted to providing practical information about application security. The OWASP Top 10 is a list of the most critical security flaws and provides development teams with clear set of priorities when it comes to web application security standards. These flaws are widely accepted to be the most oft-exploited vulnerabilities, and remediating them is the first and most important step in decreasing the risk of a security breach.
The OWASP Top 10 includes:
- Broken Authentication and Session Management
- Cross Site Scripting
- Insecure Direct Object References
- Security Misconfiguration
- Sensitive Data Exposure
- Missing Function Level Access Control
- Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF)
- Using Components with Known Vulnerabilities
- Unvalidated Redirects and Forwards
Even as security breaches dominate the headlines, many applications today continue to be released with OWASP Top 10 vulnerabilities. The key to eliminating these flaws is to integrate web application security standards into the entire software development lifecycle (SDLC), rather than simply performing a one-time scan or penetration test after software has been written.
For organizations seeking to improve compliance with web application security standards, Veracode offers an application security platform with comprehensive application security tools for automated and manual testing.
Conforming to web application security standards with Veracode
Veracode is a leading provider of application security services and solutions that help protect the software driving business today. Veracode’s platform provides comprehensive code review tools that developers can use to assess and improve application security from design through production, enabling their organizations to build, buy and assemble applications with confidence.
Veracode solutions for meeting web application security standards
To help development teams meet web application security standards, Veracode provides a broad range of web application testing solutions:
- Veracode Dynamic Analysis is a unified solution that lets developers find, secure and monitor all web applications, including the apps that organizations are unaware of or have forgotten about.
- Veracode Static Analysis helps development teams adhere to web application security standards by quickly identifying and remediating application security flaws. Veracode’s patented web application security testing tools can analyze major frameworks and languages without requiring source code, enabling developers to quickly assess code that is written, bought or downloaded.
- Veracode Software Composition Analysis provides tools for building an inventory of third-party components to identify vulnerabilities in open source and commercial code.
Learn more about meeting web application security standards with Veracode, and about Veracode’s XSS cheat sheet and solutions for detecting SQL injection in Java.