The rise of malware software.
As the Internet and email have become ubiquitous in our business and personal lives, incidences of malware software have risen exponentially as well. Malware software is malicious software, created to deliberately damage, disable or control computers, devices and servers. Cyber criminals use malware software for a wide variety of purposes: to access private networks, steal sensitive data, hijack systems and wreak havoc. The impact of a malware software attack can be remarkably detrimental, both in damage to data and loss of revenue, productivity, reputation and business.
Common types of malware include:
- Viruses, which spread through user actions such as downloading a file or running a program.
- Worms, which automatically replicate themselves across networks and computers.
- Trojan horses, malware software that appears to be safe but creates backdoors or causes damage unknown to the user.
- Spyware, which monitors user activity for marketing purposes or to steal user credentials.
- Adware, which redirects a user’s browser traffic or delivers unwanted ads.
- Dialer or Zombie malware software that takes control of devices and computing resources to mount coordinated attacks like DDoS.
Preventing malware software with Veracode.
Stopping malware software requires a comprehensive approach to security that includes anti-malware solutions, spam filters, firewalls and other network security technology. Equally important is application security testing – and that’s where Veracode can help.
Veracode is a leading provider of application testing services that help organizations to protect the software that drives their business. Our suite of automated testing solutions is available as an on-demand service, enabling testing to become an integral part of the software development lifecycle (SDLC).
Traditional tools for testing for malware software have been costly to acquire and complicated to use, adding unacceptable delays to the SDLC. With Veracode, developers and IT administrators can quickly and easily test code for flaws that may be exploited by malicious software. Whether building microservices, desktop apps, mobile software or web applications, Veracode makes it simple to deliver safer software on time and within budget.
Veracode services for avoiding malware software.
Our suite of testing services can help to identify a broad variety of vulnerabilities such as SQL injection, cross site scripting, cryptographic insecure storage, backdoors and other flaws widely exploited by malware software.
Our testing services include:
- Static Analysis that scans binaries to analyze software that is built, bought or assembled.
- Web Scanning that combines static and dynamic analysis to scan public facing web apps.
- Software Composition Analysis that identifies vulnerabilities in open source code.
- Runtime Protection that provides real-time defense against application-layer attacks.
- Vendor Application Security Testing that evaluates third-party software without needing access to source code.
Learn more about preventing malware software with Veracode, or consult our AppSec knowledgebase to learn about the difference between security testing and load testing or to get answers to questions like “What is DLP?”